Sunday 6 January 2008

Probiotic dairy free punch

Living in an urban landscape has it's benefits. I make coconut water kefir and I live where no coconuts could currently grow, naturally.

Kefir grains are available at some health food stores. Carrot Common is where I got mine in Toronto.

The young green coconuts are readily available in Chinatown. Spadina and Queen. These are definitely never local but I incorporate them since I do not use any dairy. Eating is a moral issue sometimes isn't it?

The power tool (a rechargeable jigsaw) is very handing for splitting the coconuts and the being able to use the coconut meat in curries, baking, cheese (with the kefir), or just raw with almonds and cocoa. It freezes well. I often use the kefir as a milk substitute when baking. Add a suitable thickener (ground flax seeds, guar gum, xanthan gum, arrowroot) if consistency in your recipe is important.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: