Tuesday 31 January 2012

Sunday Brunch: Oat Hash


The greatest thing about the internet is that it never forgets.  The worst thing about the internet is that it never forgets.  Therefore, if you google my name and an old email address I used  - i.e. here - then you will find various links to a bunch of recipes I posted to discussion lists back in the days before the WYSIWYG internet.  (whoa there ol' fella whzz that?)

So today, after 3 and a half years, I have returned to the world of recipe publishing and am officially reactivating this blog.  The recipe publishing world is somewhere that I first belonged to in 1977 with a published recipe in a community cookbook.  A world that I rejoined in 1997 by self publishing a vegan cookbook for family and friends.

A world that I again rejoined by launching this blog in 2008.

And I world I will (yet) again rejoin in 2012 and attempt to run this blog alongside my main blog.

I've cracked open the cast iron and whipped up a few tasty meals lately and I'm looking forward to sharing my latest creations again.
-----

Oat  Hash (enough for two generous servings)
1 cup cooked steel cut oats (I used leftovers, I usually make up a bigger batch and reheat as needed)
2 eggs well beaten
1/2 a leek, chopped
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Fry the leeks on medium heat in a medium sized cast iron frying pan in a little oil until they are brown.  Add the cooked oats and herbs and mix well.  Add the eggs and cover.  Stir frequently until eggs are cooked - about 5 minutes at medium heat, longer if you reduce the heat.

I served this with bacon ('cause everything is better with bacon), sliced raw beets, and a side green salad.  I also added a dollop of onion marmalade to the cooked hash.  I made the marmalade a few weeks ago and it's turned out to be a total hit with the family and friends that I've shared it with.  I found the recipe for this delicious onion marmalade on this post (the recipe is about 1/2 way down the page).


No comments: