Tuesday 29 January 2008

Gluten Free Maple Sesame Hemp Bars (Candy Making 101)



If you are going to make candy then you should have candy equipment.

Or an adventurous spirit and a perfect cast iron pan for cooling. And fond memories of Laura Ingalls making molasses and maple sugar candy in the Little House in the Big Woods book.


Back in my early twenties I use to make peanut brittle with the microwave. I felt a bit let down because it was so easy.

Well...I'm now microwave free and peanut/dairy free so I am free to pursue this challenge.

This is my first venture and it was challenging mostly due to the small serving size I made.

Gluten Free Maple Sesame Hemp Bars

3/4 - 1 cup maple syrup (use less if it is a thicker grade of syrup)
3/4 cup toasted organic sesame seeds

Bring the above to a slow boil in a 3 Quart heavy bottomed pot (I used a cast iron pot). This should be stirred constantly. The temperature of the boiling mixture should be 284 F (140 C)for at least 5 minutes. Do not let the mix dry out (the time will depend on the grade of maple syrup you have used). The mix should still be quite runny.

Before pouring the candy onto a lightly oiled jelly roll sheet (or cast iron pans ;) add

1/4 cup hemp nut

These are scrumptious even if they didn't all harden properly. The unhardened mix is a great addition to cereal or fruit.


All of the above items were purchased at Karma Co-op ;)

No comments: