Wednesday 20 February 2008

Gluten Free Caribbean Lunch with Hemp Slaw

I live in an area that has about an equal ratio of late night barber shops and jerk chicken outlets (and money cashing outlets....). I have yet to determine if any of the jerk chickens are suitable for my tomato free/gluten free diet so, in the past year or so, I've missed the quick and easy take out jerk chicken meals of some of the finer establishments close to me.

I was also imprinted as an infant/toddler by exposure to a couple of foreign born housekeeping nannies that expanded my parent's irish born food palate - think boiled and bland - considerably. One of my dearest memories was of my paternal grandfather gobbling up the spaghetti I'd made for him when I visited Ireland when I was 12 years old. I remember the quest I had to make through the irish markets to find suitable ingredients. That was in 1979 and Ireland, especially Cork city, had yet to be penetrated by global food influences. I remember also my grandmother telling me that it was called spaghetti bolognese, thank you very much. I wonder now what all of my grandparents would think of the global food plate. I don't think any of them would have stopped gardening and that's a legacy I hold onto.


This simple lunch used a couple of locally pre-made products that I enjoy.





Open Faced HOT(!) Turkey Sandwich
Little Stream produces an amazing gluten free buckwheat sourdough loaf (no yeast added) and Mado's Caribbean(mentioned in this thread but it is available at Karma co-op) produces yummy tomato free hot pepper sauce. I topped the bread with pre-cooked ground organic turkey(with thyme and sage added) from Beretta farms. I warmed this up in the toaster oven and note how little of the sauce I used. The sauce is quite hot yet very tasty.


Hemp Slaw
Chopped Organic Red Cabbage
Chopped Organic Carrots
Organic Greens
Dressing
2 tbsp pure pureed cranberries (available frozen)
1 tsp hemp oil
1 tsp Filsinger's raw un-filtered organic apple cider vinegar
1/8 tsp ground mustard seed
Posted by Picasa
All of the above were purchased at Karma Co-op ;)

1 comment:

Wisewebwoman said...

I am trying to get back to simple, basic and local myself, so your recipes are very inspiring and also very colourful.
XO
WWW