Sunday 13 January 2008

18 Minute Prep: Green Curry Steamed Scallops, Broccoli with fresh pineapple and baby arugula

This meal took about 18 minutes to prepare.

Why is 18 minutes important? Because that makes this recipe qualify for the Alice's Restaurant 21st century movement (recipes that can be prepped in 18 minutes or so which happens to be the length of the song of the same name).


I usually eat pineapple by itself with turmeric but once in awhile I like to mix fresh uncooked pineapple into a lightly cooked curry.

I used a gluten free green thai curry paste in lieu of fresh ingredients (January in Toronto Canada, 'nuf said).

I purchased all items from Karma food co-op except where noted (Karma does not supply these products).

nova scotia bay scallops(steamed about 15 minutes) 9 per person, I bought a few pounds of these fresh at Loblaw's at a sale last month and froze a few servings for myself

organic broccoli (steamed about 10 minutes) 1/2-3/4 cup per person...from this farm in California.....sigh...cost me a fortune too but there were not a lot of green local options at the co-op this week

I prepared and mixed the following from room temperature (while above was steaming).

pineapple 1/2 - 3/4 cup per person chopped into chunks (I always use fresh and peel it as I use it)
green thai curry paste 1/2 - 3/4 tsp per person or to taste
bonito flakes 1 tbsp per person or to taste
hemp oil 1 tbsp per person
turmeric 1/2 - 1 tsp per person

I also used the steamer to soften the rice paper sheets (purchased in Toronto's Chinatown).

I would use three sheets per person next time per person since two made them very bulky.

Add 1 cup baby arugula (Ontario grown!) and cayenne to garnish.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: